Friday, January 25, 2008

Jon's 10 things (oh alright, 15)

  1. The color of the bricks on the windowless side of the Main Stacks--bright, to deepening, darkening reds.
  2. Thin layer of snow, patches of green grass showing through, light brown leaves spiking through--pointing upward. layers.
  3. Stencil graffiti of a squatting, African boy under a towering monster (by a different graffiti artist) near the back exit of the Canopy Club.
  4. Thousands of staples, but no signs, in a brown telephone pole.
  5. The random but beautiful design that shaded frost makes in the sidewalk.
  6. The shapes of snowflakes (I haven't seen a snowflake up close for over 20 years).
  7. A view out a window toward stately Foellinger, broken up by tangled, bare, wiry, wintered trees. A thought: Which is more beautiful?
  8. Winter trees in general. More beautiful to me than trees in summer. I'm reminded of complicated circulatory systems. Or brain stems.
  9. Also at Canopy, weather beaten, faded bills. Post mo' bills, I say.
  10. Out the same window mentioned above, a lone Cardinal hops through the branches.
  11. A few stunning pictures on the net: trees and other work by Brooks Salzwedel
  12. packaging tape art (more layers)
  13. word/book art (recycled words, cut out words, book autopsies)
  14. this macbook's aesthetic, interface, and screen after years of staring at her grandpa powerbook
  15. The faces of my children every time I look (sappy, I know, but can you argue?)

photo-6.jpg

No comments: