

Usually when we pour out a box of our favorite cereal into our bowls, we don't always take the time to examine the writing and picture graphics on the box since we are just focused getting breakfast and beginning our day. This week as I was at home, I had a little bit more time to take notice of this. As I looked up in the kitchen cabinet at the choices of cereal which were there I saw that there was Raisin Bran, Honey Nut Cheerios and Captain Crunch. I noticed that for some reason, even though I usually prefer Honey Nut Cheerios, I was more compelled to take the Captain Crunch since it seemed to stand out to me more than the other boxes. This made me take notice of the fact that I chose the cereal not because of the taste but the appeal of the box. We think that we might choose certain foods based on tast yet often times we instead might choose based on looks. From this observation I wondered what could be the rhetorical and persuasive message which is communicated to people as they choose from an array of cereal brands in the store. We might often think it is the taste that motivates them to buy the cereal yet I have come to realize that it might be other wise.
Have you ever stopped to notice the images of the bowl of cereal in which the small grains of cereal have been drastically enlarged. What about the boxes with a picture of the cereal next to a glass of orange juice and decorated with cuts of strawberry and blue berries? What about the ever popular children's cereals which are often bright and colorful? All of these images, believe it or not, can be seen as forms of rhetoric which persuade us to consider the cereal. Cereal box designers are aware that the must first capture the eyes of the buyer by convincing them visually that their product is delicious even before they taste it. So what could be the message which cereal box designer are trying to communicate from these types of box designs. Well, the drastically enlarged cereal and serve as the designers way of enticing the consumer by magnifying the appeal of the look of cereal to show its flavor and seasoning giving us the impression that this cereal must taste as good as it looks on the box. The designers method of adding fruits and drinks around or on the cereal might not just be a way to decorate the cereal. It might also be a way to show or suggest that the cereal can be a part of a balanced diet, if eaten as shown. Finally the image which captures so many children's attention... the colorful cereal and cereal boxes. These images are made to appeal to children in particular by catching their attention through these bright and colorful images. It is also a way of communicating that the cereal is fun since these cereals usually convey funny cartoon character such as "Captain Crunch" or the "Lucky Charms Leprechaun". These designers also use these images to appeal to the feeling s of those that eat the cereal. Perhaps it was the fact that I was in a fun and relaxed mood from being home all week, which might have motivated me to choose the silly Captain Crunch when I usually go for the simple and serious Cheerios.
-AveMaria Okolo
1 comment:
This is a really great analysis. Cool, cool, cool!
-Jon
Post a Comment