
The three buildings I decided to explore are the Institute of Genomic Biology, Smith Memorial Hall, and Roger Adams Laboratory. For scientists, and musicians these buildings are like “ home” , for me they were foreign places. My intended major is broadcast journalism and I avoid subjects similar to these as much as possible. My strengths do not include science and math and music is not a talent of mine. So I explored completely new and exciting places. Lets began with the first building I looked at which is the Institute of Genomic Biology.
Part of the building was old and traditional like other buildings around campus, but rest of the building looked like it had been renovated or just built. It is beautiful on the outside and inside. I’ll let you be the judge , the picture of the building is just above the text on the right side. I already felt like an outsider or intrude rand felt like I didn’t belong. I attempted to enter these large double doors when I realized the doors were locked. That particular area that I was trying to explore was only for people with card access. So that led me to the basement. There was a cafĂ© and many labs downstairs. There were two people sitting at round tables and when I told them about the project, the woman gave me information about the building. Later I found out that the information I received was not accurate. She told me that the building was not completed and opened to the public. When I researched the building I found that it is actually opened, so that leads me to questioned why she lied to me. I figured that she either didn’t want me to be there or just genuinely didn’t know. The furniture in the building was contemporary and modern. Overall the building seemed secure and safe. The conclusion that I formulated was that the building design is modernized and new because this type of science , Genomic biology is new in the sense that it is not one of the most popular sciences. The building is attractive which draws people near to find out more about this major. This building is the one I found most interesting, but not the one I want to write my paper on.
Smith Memorial Hall as a large auditorium theater, classrooms, and studios. The most intriguing part for me was the organ. It was unlike any traditional organ you’ve ever seen. It was large and unique. The sound of the singers and various instruments distracted me from the sight of the building. The sound was so loud and strong that it could be heard from outdoors.
Lastly, Roger Adams Laboratory was slightly disappointing. I was expecting to see different scientists, and researchers with white lab coats and test tubes working on an exciting experiment instead I found a variety of things. There were flyers of events that were occurring in Roger Adams Lab that weren’t even science related. Then when I went into a lecture hall I realized that African American Studies were being taught. The only exciting thing I observed in Roger Adams Lab was that it is serves as a multi purpose building that once was a nice lab but has slowly been replaced by other good laboratories. It’s original intent and purpose is deteriorating. I learned many things from my experience, but one important idea that I will share is to beware of who you talk to and always check the facts when exploring these various buildings.
-Tawana Daniels
No comments:
Post a Comment