Sunday, March 2, 2008

Most touching commercial seen recently

This weekend while searching the web, I came across this commercial for Porsche. What made it stands out is, for some reason, I thought back about pathos, logos, and ethos and think about what aspect the commercial was trying to get in touch with. The commercial is a rather long one stretching out to three minutes compared to regular thirty seconds commercial. It tells a story about a boy who looked out a window from a classroom one day not paying attention to his teacher saw this Porsche Carrera. The irony that i found is that the Porsche is very clean, spotless and have this showroom shine, and although the young kid is in the class room, he can still, remarkably, hear the exhaust note.  What that does is that it created this image of Porsche's car, of its beauty and performance.   He then became obsess and draws it out, but one would notice that at that young of age, the quality of the drawing seems to be too advance. He then visit a Porsche dealership where he was surprisingly greeted by a salesman who showed him the new Carrera when he asked. This alone convey that Porsche, although indirectly through viewers experience that it isn't cheap, still treated this kid with respect even though he couldn't afford it. Continuing from the commercial, the kid go on and sits inside the car and before he leaves, he asked for the salesman business card and say that he will see him in twenty years. The commercial touched me on the pathos, emotional side. Making me remember about the time when i dreamt of a car. That feeling is hard to describe in writing but in general, it connects with other viewers just like with me, to create an awe.
-Thinh

1 comment:

Rhetoric 104 said...

When I was a kid, I was GOING to own a Porche when I grew up. Still waiting to grow up, I'm afraid