Being a freshman at the university, there are various buildings I have not been within quite yet. Most of the buildings I have been in were pertain to classes or other related things, of course. While being a student, it never hurts to explore a bit of the unattended since you’ll be here for four years . So, the three buildings I visited for this mini tour was David Kinley Hall, Harker Hall, and the Chemical & Life Sciences Laboratory. Following is a little list of things that I noticed throughout my brief visits:
While visiting David Kinley Hall,
• When approaching the building, it almost has the same formation as other typical buildings on campus.
• Bypassing the first floor, I noticed lots of exits…like one exit every four classrooms, although that’s a bit exaggerated. Glancing from the inside out, my eyes were drawn to these very peculiar heaters on the wall. Normally, a heater is within the inside of the wall or aligned in the corners like a tall filing organizer or something of that nature. But, these shiny heaters lay on the walls like gymnastic pallets seen in some gymnasiums.
• This is obviously a business building which is clearly indicated on the second floor and on the business quad.
• Traveling up or down the stairs, your hands grasp very fancy and classic railings.
• On the third floor, some classrooms are secluded in a cave-like sheltering.
While visiting the next, Harker Hall,
• Here lies an apartment complex in the main quad of the campus. To be a building a part of or with close proximity to the main quad, it stands out from all the rest. Inside, the hallways resemble hotel hallways by the shape of the lights, equally separated doors, etc.
• The building is very secure with various areas where an I-card or some staff card is needed to get within certain spots.
• The lounge has an old fashioned coordination; color pattern oriented of green, velvet red, and brown. Upon the walls outside the lounge or front desk, there lies a mural of president award nominees and/or winners.
• One other thing is that there seems to be an unlimited number of printing rooms…I wonder why so many?
Last but not least, while visiting the Chemical& Life Sciences Laboratory,
• I found the huge windows very attractive; it grasped my attention by its slight modern look and also the fact that it was a laboratory because I haven’t been inside one of them. I wanted to get a grasp of what was commonly seen on television.
• Once on the upper level, I loved the view. It was different to get a lovely view of the campus on a sunny day like yesterday; it was a nice outside atmosphere. Also, it still felt as if you were on the first floor because the floors weren’t as distinguished to me. Looking out the enormous windows, I found that the building is split on the 2nd floor and wondered if there was a way to get to the opposing side from the other side. I began to search but I was only confusing myself.
• Once in the research area, it seemed like I was a sniper of some sort. The halls aren’t as hectic and jammed with students like other lecture halls and classroom buildings. The noticeable researchers were probably wondering who the young girl was swiftly peeping through windows and backing away. I was scared because I didn’t think I was supposed to be that close. There were very huge caution signs everywhere of course. Some of the researching rooms were blocked (those with a laser in use). One of the rooms did resemble the typical chemistry labs illustrated on TV or throughout other visual images; those with lots of chemicals, wires, test tubes, burning equipment, and so on.
• Upon the walls were lots of postings of formulas and calculations. I became a bit dizzy trying to skim those equations.:)
• Towards the end of the hallway, the windows are a bit smaller and are probably an area where those researchers can go to take a break from the complex work they’re indulged within throughout most of the day. It’s a spot just to relax and still view a minimal amount of the campus.
Yeah, this is probably a lot, but I found it quite cool going into other buildings. It was something out of the ordinary from traveling to and from some of the main buildings I am always within. It was a great field trip especially with the weather being so nice lately.:)
~Krystal Wilson
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment