Friday, March 14, 2008

Exploring Campus

Brad Vonck

Walking around campus today, I went through three buildings. I visited the Natural History Building, The Union, and The Spurlock Museum. Being pressed for time this afternoon I went to the Natural History Building and Spurlock for the majority of the time between my classes. The Natural History Building reminded me of basically a "newer" English Building in its layout. I say newer because the smell of new paint and obvious remodeling signs are prevalent throughout the first floor. The building is also considered a museum as well as a building that houses discussions and lectures. Many exhibits line the halls dealing with various subjects of Natural History such as fossils from the ages of the dinosaurs to a library of various samples of unique and exquisite rocks. This building stuck out to me as I walked the halls because I know one day soon I will be walking these halls on my way to a class. It will seem far different then, due to the consistency that I will be in the building as opposed to now, my first time entering it. I won't realize how unique all the exhibits are, but maybe now that I realized this fact, I will remember to take time out of my day during those times to look at those same exhibits one more time.

I also went to the Spurlock Museum. We are very fortunate to have a museum like this on campus, with its vast libary of artifacts. I was interested in this building once I ironically enough decided to skip the first assignment in my history class last semester. Located near Krannert, the building is marvelous, it is a combination of old style and new architecture, the most modern formation is the use of glass windows which gives it its modern look. The inside is very diverse in its contents, ranging the entire globe in a variety of times and events. One new exhibit coming in the end of this month is dealing with music and art of the post World War II era, which reminded me of this class and some of our journal entries. Although I couldn't investigate this further due to time constraints, the building is one that I plan on venturing too alot to complete my analysis of it.

I finished up my exploration by visiting my local stopping grounds haha, The Illini Union. This building is the one I will end up doing my paper on because of the shear history it has alone. I was sitting there eating lunch today, realizing that this is the same Union that many of our nation's finest men and women sat in as well, it brought alot of pride to me and my university. Moving past the food court, I think everyone should venture upstairs to the RSO Offices and see how grand of an involvement our student body has on this campus. Working for ASB I have spent many days up there, and being a freshman it truly aided in my transition from high school to college. I remember coming into the Union as a junior and even at times this first semester, and being overwhelmed with many aspects of the University. Now I feel at home, and the Union is like a second home to me down here. Many fun activities as well as the hub for the student body. It truly is the heart of campus.

No comments: