Sunday, March 2, 2008

Just Do It


Upon my search for an advertisement I found this cool photograph that caught my attention. The setting of the picture is dirty; you can tell by the walls that use to be white and the ground that is full of dirt and debris. Also, there is a young African-American boy whose face is back is towards us. He is not properly dressed; he is only wearing kaki shorts that have not been washed in weeks and is bare foot. I assume that he is poor. Plus, it looks like he is urinating on the wall. There is also a stray dog that looks like he is watching the boy urinating on the wall. The dog’s ears are pointed straight up; you can assume that he is curious in what the boy is doing with its head titled slightly to the left.
The most important part of the photograph though is on the dirty wall are the words “Just do it” and with Nike sign right below it. The significance of the words being place there just shows you that no matter what country you go to, big companies will try to advertise their company anyway possible. Many companies move to their companies from the United States to third world countries for cheaper labor. When I saw this picture I thought of this as a story. That this poor young boy was on a break using the bathroom while working to make shoes in a Nike factory.
This advertisement of Nike makes me sad because instead of charging cheaper labor they should help out the community. The factories that many young kids work in are the worst possible conditions with long hours and hard work. To see this breaks my heart and reminds me of how lucky I am to live in the United States and I am able to get an education to be something that I want to be; unlike these kids who are forced to work.

-Sophia Damtew

1 comment:

Rhetoric 104 said...

Good post, Sophia-- I love the photo. Careful, though, not to refer to black individuals who live out of the country as African-American.