Friday, March 14, 2008

Connection

By Valera Chekmazov,

Arent they beautiful? I ask myself that question all the time but especially lately when i have been exploring the campus. I first began looking at the Union building. You know that article you assigned us about student centers really helped me to grasp some of the connections between structure and communication. I went to the union early in the morning and found about dozens of people sleeping on the comfortable leather couches in the main lounge. That is extraordinary, i believe. Personally i don't care about fancy building and stuff like that, but seeing those homeless kids (lol) lying there together really touched my heart. It is as though that building really brings them together. Personally i will not write my essay about this particular edifice, because i promise to myself not to write about popular subjects ( and Union is a popular subject). I rather chose to explore farther.
Then i went to the Busy Evans Hall. It is the all girl Hall that is located close to the Kranert art museum. it is a crippy place from what i thought. In feels like being inside a mausoleum. The rooms are crammed and the doors are located on the four different sides of the dorm. I actually had a problem getting through the building, and ended up asking for directions. The cafeteria is awesome though. I found that it is open really late and all kinds of food can be found there.
Last but not least, and most important for me is the six pack. You may ask why would you write about the place that you live in? Well i am not taking an easy way out, actually i feel that six pack is a perfect subject for my research. Not only that the building provides a substantial amount of information to fill in the pages, but the structure and the architectural design also don't lag behind. I am focused mainly on this structure and have a great feeling that i will write strictly about this place.

No comments: