In Sociology, I learned that schools are part of an agent in socialization; this means that the school teaches you how to act properly within a society. In a school students have common beliefs, values, and norms. Schools vary from culture to culture, but the general idea is to get some sort of education for your future career. The top three buildings that I had were The Undergraduate / Grangier Library, Lincoln Hall, and The Union. When I read other peoples responses last week I saw that I would had picked a lot of common places. So, I decided to explore each building, but I knew that I had my mind set on the college of Law building particularly, the library.
The College of Law Library has a sophisticated feel to it; it much rather resembles the Main Library with its décor. A lot of fancy and wooden art work. I thought that this part of the building was interesting because it is rather newly remodeled. On the first floor when you first walk in you are exposed to a fancy library. There are long wooden desks where multiple students can get do their work on; plus, with each seat there is a desk lamp. The desks are in the middle with books shelves circling around from it. On the second floor I saw it is full of more Law Books and many desk cubicles for students to study. I really like this library because it is quiet and by the décor of the building it makes you feel smart. I found this funny because I noticed that a building determines how you are going to react.
The Next building I went to was the Union; there is so much to say about the Union…I noticed that the Union and the College of Law Library have the same décor. I found it cool how the college still tries to keep its décor relatively the same so the theme of the red brick colonial style continues. I particularly like the Courtyard Café because this is one part of the building where it breaks away from that style. Inside there are many seats booths and television; in this part of the building you are encouraged to socialize. Also, there is a stage that many play on. The vibe of the room is relaxing, when I go to the Union it is considered a break of my day, here I can do work, but still talk to my friends.
The Last Building I observed was the Main Library; I go to this library a lot, but I wanted to differ it from the College of Law Library. What makes the Undergraduate Library unique from all the other buildings is because it is underground literality. There are two floors; on the first floor this is where a lot of people talk and work on projects together. Inside the building the style of it is kind of old. Students do their studying on plastic desks and wooden chair. Next, you are constantly surrounded by many old books. On the second floor, is a quiet floor; if you need to concentrate more on an assignment go here. The second and first floor are similar to each other. Nothing in specific stood out to me to be that great.
-Sophia Damtew
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment