Sunday, February 24, 2008


PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals. I found this advertisement among the thousands of PETA advertisements the most interesting. Peta is the largest and most successful animal rights group in the U.S. It has many famous public faces that are members and actively help with advertisements. Growing up on a farm and raising livestock I can say I've had first hand experience raising these animals. During a national junior swine show in Louisville this summer there was a handful of PETA demonstrators holding signs. Thats when I realized just how ignorant some animal rights members are. The show pig industry is much like the modeling or acting industry for humans. They get washed, groomed, and pampered to the fullest extent at these shows but these demonstrators had no idea what was going on.
This advertisement shows the face of an animal that we raise for food as well as income. However it is very unfortunate that during the boom of so called "factory farming" it is less common to find animals raised on small family farms, instead it is run by huge corporations who have almost cornered the market for meat. PETA thinks that all farmers are cruel to their animals by locking them into small confined places. In this picture you see a pig on a bright sunny day in what looks like an open range pasture. The caption "Did Your Food Have a Face?" tries to make you connect to the facial expression of this pig which has no idea that it will be harvested for the nourishment of others. Although I greatly disagree with animal rights groups such as PETA, in very rare instances they do bring up cruelty issues that take place in "factory farms" that are very disturbing and help that industry to treat these animals more humanely.
-Will

No comments: