Sunday, February 10, 2008

Don't Waste It!


I wanted to find a persuading message, so I searched Google under “persuading posters” and found this old poster during World War II. I thought it was cool because just by looking at it you can tell that this poster was not made recently. The colors of green and tan are faded and old. Also, you would never this advertisement like that because we do not need to rationalize food anymore. “Don’t waste it!” this was the message that the government sent out to American citizens; only eat the basics to survive because men in the army could use the supplies more. During this time men in the army were America’s first priority. If you did not eat your food then you were considered selfish and not patriotic to your own country. It was highly looked down upon. I found it interesting how the government emphasized that “Food Is a Weapon.” They said this because if they did not rationalize food such as butter, sugar then we would not be able to win the war. A war isn’t only about fighting and weapons, but it is survival. You need to have food in order to have energy to fight!


Sophia Damtew

1 comment:

Rhetoric 104 said...

This poster is particularly interesting to me in that it represents a different war time. Can you point to anything even remotely close to this kind of propaganda (and I don't mean that in the negative connotation) for the current war? That we don't have this kind of persuasive rhetoric should tell you something about how different this war is from previous wars. What sacrifices are citizens currently making for the war effort?