
Last week I wrote about political cartoons which are obvious examples of rhetoric, but I realized that other cartoons could be just as persuasive. We are sometimes exposed to rhetoric and don’t even realize it. You would think that the artist would try to send a clear message however this unconscious absorbing of knowledge can be beneficial to their rhetorical motives. Since everyone knows that advertisement can be seen everywhere we try to avoid that persuasion. At least I do, especially since there is so much propaganda. Well, now I know for a fact it is inevitable. Since I was a child I would grab the newspaper just to read the “funnies”, comical cartoons found in newspapers. I always thought it was innocent humor, but is there a hidden message in them. I will let you be the judge. Check out this site,http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/03/barber-shop-7-readability.html I chose a well known cartoon called, "The Blondie" which is a good cartoon about family. I notice how many cartoons have the paternal figure always involved in a sport particularly golf. Is this persuading us that a lot of men play golf. I thought about this cartooon when my dad recently decided to pursue this hobby. So while he goes golfing, his wife stays at home just like in the cartoon.
-Tawana Daniels
1 comment:
cool link. I just spent some time looking at a bunch of bugs, mickey, and daffy duck cartoons.
I wonder what all of those Garfield comics persuaded me of when I was a kid.
Post a Comment