Friday, February 1, 2008

I always look at the graphic T-shirts whenever I am somewhere with other people. Some of these T-shirts are hysterical, while others are offensive. T-shirts can say so much about a person’s likes or dislikes. For instance, I have often seen shirts that have a New York Yankees logo and have a giant X across the logo and say, “Yankees suck.” They can also show in insight into a person such as where they went for high school or what activities they participated in during their high school tenure. But clothing can also be a very effective form of advertising. Whenever you look at someone’s shirt and it has a band logo, the person is promoting that band. I know that if I see a band on someone’s shirt that I have never heard of, I go home and look up some songs by the band. By this person wearing a shirt with a band printed on it, they effectively promoted the band because it made me go home and listen to their music.

My all-time favorite shirts have to be the ones bought at Steve and Barry’s clothing outlet. I have a friend who literally shops for all his clothing at Steve and Barry’s. Every time I see him I look at his shirt and read the slogans on it. I didn’t even realize I read his shirts until I gave him a hard time about some of the shirts that he purchased. So the other day, I bumped into him and told him that I had to take a picture of his shirt.



As you can see, many things can be taken from this shirt. It implies that he is the pimp. But I told him that until he stopped wearing shirts advertising his cockiness, I wouldn’t even entertain the idea. Who is the one that has to wear ridiculous shirts just to get people to notice him. But because of him wearing the shirt, I have to go to the graphic T-shirts in Steve and Barry’s to ready the funny ones. So in a way, the “Major League Pimping” shirt was an effective advertisement for Steve and Barry’s. And I have to admit, a lot of women go up to him laughing at his shirt, so maybe he’s on to something.

- Thomas Callahan

No comments: